Every know that it's not easy to improve the Speaking skill, because the most important component is the sound of your voice. For many people, good voice quality can be learned. Why don't you take a look through those steps that they used to try? Maybe you could find out some your own tips.
Step 1: Breathe regularly. Stop at the right place so that the listeners can have enough time to understand what you have just said.
Step 2: Control your volume. Try to speak at the most approriate voice, and the audience will help you to correct it.
Step 3: Moderate your speaking speed. This one can affect the listeners' attention. If you speak too quickly, they can’t keep up with things you're speaking. If you speak too slowly, they will lose interest. You can receive the feedback from the others. By that, you can do better the next time.
Step 4: Use intonation suitably. Monotonous voice generally is smooth to hear, so sometimes it make you asleep. Develop your intonation by practicing humming.
Step 5: Articulate. First, speak slowly. Try not to make any mistake. Then, speak more quickly. Practice articulating tongue twisters, pronounce ending sound exactly.
When Giving a Speech
· Step 1: Follow the instructions above on improving your speaking voice.
· Step 2: Read aloud your speech and find out where to put emphasis or a pause. Take notes in your book carefully.
· Step 3: Be relaxed before you begin.
· Step 4: Release tension in your face. You can smile before beginning to get your confidence back.
· Step 5: Breathe deeply.
· Step 6: Hum before you begin.
· Step 7: Drink plenty of water.
· Step 8:Stand up straight to allow full lung capacity and airflow.
Tips & Warnings
- Record your voice, using different ways of speaking. Consider which one is most suitable.
Read out loud from the newspaper or magazine every day to pratice the right sound and ease of speaking. Give your idea from them using you own words.
- Practice talking to yourself in font of the mirror; or talk back to the television or the radio. Turn down the volume and express your opinion until you can give your idea perfectly.
Start a practice group or take a class.
Listen to what you response to the listeners.
Smile appropriately when speaking. It will make your voice sound more pleasant.
Avoid extraneous words and sounds like “um” and “actually.”
I hope you enjoy that. If you want to know more, search in Web: http://www.amazon.com/.
Thanks a lot.
[. Nha Trang .]